Saturday, April 17, 2021

Calling all Kvetchers!!

 

Greetings and salutations from your resurfaced Bubbe, back with an idea that should appeal to your creativity.

 

I spent a couple of weeks providing you with all sorts of tips on learning the new card. There are explanations of each hand, lists of possible exposures, ideas for how to master certain sections.

 

It’s my hope that all of this "learning the card" information has been helpful, but a question during a recent speaking event reminded me that, regardless of how well you know the card, it can still sometimes be very challenging when you first look at your tiles. Sure, there are times that you get three Jokers and a Flower or two. The tiles might speak to you quickly, showing either all in the same suit or in the same area of the number line, or with Dragons that match. Somehow you get the basics for a hand that makes sense.

 

The problem is those other times, when you get a hand that is a complete mystery.  Cue the kvetching: 

 

"Where are the jokers?" 

 

"What a lousy hand!"

 

"THESE ARE THE WORST TILES I'VE EVER SEEN!!"

 

My proposal to you, dear readers:

 

Come up with what you consider the worst possible starting hand. It doesn't have to be one that you actually encountered, although sometimes that's even funnier. Show me what you consider to be the WORST set of tiles to start a game.

 

The winner gets her choice of any of my three books: "Searching for Bubbe Fischer" (my memoir/manual), or one of my two novels, "Small World" and "Take Two."

 

Please submit your entry, either written out (e.g. FF127293DDNSJ—bams, craks, and dots) or via photo, to Bubbefischer@gmail.com  All entries must be submitted by May 1st, I’ll be very interested to see what you come up with!

 

Talk to you soon!

 

Bubbe Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment