Thursday, January 19, 2017

Tournament Tales, Volume 1



NOTE: This article is about 18 months old and references hands from the 2015 card, but it's still useful analysis!!

Greetings and salutations from Bubbe, who needs some rest…

“76” is a number that resonates with a lot of Americans. 1776 was the year of America’s independence, and many of us remember the bicentennial year, 1976. (Here’s a scary thought: according to The World Factbook, the median age in the United States as of 2014 was 37, meaning that over half the population wasn’t even alive in 1976…but that’s another story.) Lindbergh named his plane “The Spirit of ’76.” The triumphant number in “The Music Man” is “76 Trombones.”

I just played 76 hands of mah jongg, over the course of 41 hours. I had a little sleep, two showers and a few meals, but the majority of my time was spent in the same ballroom of that lovely hotel in Industrial Park, New Jersey, that I described in my book Searching for Bubbe Fischer

I think I’ve conclusively proven that 76 hands is…a lot of mahj. My opponents (approximately 50 different women: I played against some, two or three times, because of the mini-tournaments) universally said that they felt it “wasn’t enough” for them, but I personally reached saturation point. There was a moment Saturday evening, as I was facing the 40th hand of the day, that I definitely lost focus. Someone stopped the Charleston after first left, and I was completely befuddled.

I took notes on every single game I played. It became a conversation starter among my opponents: “Why are you taking notes?” I would explain that I was doing it for my blog-readers. I thought you’d be curious about which 76 hands I played, and which were successful. That got them asking about the blog, and the book, and “who the heck is Bubbe Fischer?”

Here, in a nutshell, are some of the most important statistics from the weekend. First of all, what I have been saying for years was almost spot-on accurate, at least for this limited sample size: 19 out of the 76 games I played ended as wall games--exactly 25%! And, since I consider myself a good but not great tournament player, I was pleased to note that I won 16 games—21%, which is what I say in my book. “On average, over time, against people at your level, you should expect to win 20% of the time.”

What were my successful hands, you ask? Seven of my sixteen wins came with hands that didn’t require pairs: the flexible, pairless “3-4”’s, using only pungs and kongs (e.g. 222 4444 666 8888), and NNNNN DDDD 11111. I won 50% of the times I played that, as well as FF DDDD 2015 DDDD and Like Numbers. 

I never won in the 369 and Singles and Pairs sections (although I only tried, five times). My worst performance on a specific type of hand was “two numbers and dragon”: FF XXXX YYYY DDDD, whether one suit or three, Consecutive, 1’s and 9’s or 2’s and 8’s. I played it fourteen times (18% of my hands), but couldn’t manage one win!! Also, it became a running joke about me and Soaps—anyone who’s read the blog or my book knows that I am loath to pass Soaps in a Charleston. Sure enough, I never passed one, but I tried the “2015” hands too often: 17% of the time. I only won 15% of those attempts. 

As for which hand won each particular game, mine isn’t a scientific sample—it’s just among the 76 games that I was a part of—but among those, hands in the Singles and Pairs, Winds and Dragons, and Sevens sections won least often (three, four, and three times, respectively). As for types of hands, those flexible, pairless hands made up 33% of all wins. To paraphrase Meghan Trainor: It’s all about the jokers.

Note: a 20% success rate put me in the middle of the pack of 128 players. In order to win a tournament, you need to win approximately two hands every round (50%) and make as few errors as possible. That’s why mini’s are worth trying: you only need to be hot for two or three rounds to end up “in the money.” 

I’m going to take a nap now. Talk to you soon.

Bubbe Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment